At Pointe Coupee General Hospital we are able to provide the healthcare services that you and your family need. Services like Emergency, Laboratory, Radiology, Home Health, Hospice, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, and Respiratory Therapy are among our many centers of excellence.
We have been providing compassionate healthcare to the people and families of Pointe Coupee since 1969. With over 200 employees, our team of healthcare professionals utilizes the most modern equipment and state-of-the-art technology.
We are proud that the Joint Commission has surveyed our organization and found it to meet the requirements for the Critical Access Hospital Accreditation Program. We are a member of the Pointe Coupee Parish Health Services District № 1.
Our Home on FALSE RIVER LAKE
French-Canadian explorer Pierre Le Moyne, sieur d’Iberville and his brother, Jean Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, sailed from Brest, France in late 1698, arriving at the lower Mississippi River in 1699.
The explorers were mystified to find a point where the huge river doubled back on itself, forming an oxbow lake. That site was later named “la Pointe Coupee,” the place of the cut-off.
One of the most noted oxbow lakes in the lower Mississippi Delta, False River was the main channel of the Mississippi River until about 1722 when seasonal flooding cut a shorter channel to the east. False River, a 22-mile long “trophy lake,” is known today for boating, skiing, sailing, and fishing. Between 1974 and 1981, more than 265,000 striped bass fingerlings were released into this lake which covers 3,212 acres.
Pointe Coupee General Hospital is committed to meeting the special healthcare needs of Pointe Coupee Parish by providing the highest quality of care. The foundation for the provision of this client-focused healthcare encompasses a continuum of services delivered with compassion, understanding, respect, and dignity.
1904 - Invited by Father Francis La Roche, the Sisters of St. Joseph arrive in New Roads.
1949 - The Mosley Clinic is opened on an experimental basis. The clinic is located near False River on Main Street, New Roads, Louisiana.
1950 - The Sisters of St. Joseph accepted a 26-bed clinic on a trial basis with the option to buy from the owner. The hospital is named Sisters of St. Joseph Hospital.
1956 - Sisters of St. Joseph Hospital is approved for Medicare.
1969 - The Pointe Coupee General Hospital building is completed as a 60 bed hospital. The sisters convent is also completed. The ownership is transferred to Pointe Coupee Parish. The sisters lease the hospital from the parish for an initial three year period.
1978 - The sisters decide to not renew their lease and administration is turned over to lay personnel. Evidence of the sisters’ early involvement in the development of PCGH is evident by their living quarters and chapel, both still located on campus today.
1984 - PCGH opens its home health agency.
1987 - The financial condition of PCGH deteriorates and the residents of Pointe Coupee Parish pass a 10-year ½% sales tax.
1997 - With PCGH now in the black, board members agree to reduce the sales tax from ½% to ¼%. The residents of Pointe Coupee Parish once again pass the sales tax.
2001 - The Pointe Coupee General Health Services District is instrumental in the opening of the Innis Community Health Center. Dr. Kellerman serves as the first physician in the clinic.
2004 - PCGH is designated a critical access facility by the federal government.
2015 - PCGH expands with a new office building, the Sisters of St. Joseph Medical Plaza, for use by physicians of Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center.