Who We Are


At Pointe Coupee General Hospital we are able to provide the healthcare services that our community needs. Services like Emergency, Laboratory, Radiology, Home Health, Hospice, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, and Respiratory Therapy services are among our many centers of excellence.

We have been providing compassionate healthcare to the people and families of Pointe Coupee since 1969. With over 200 employees, our team of healthcare professionals utilizes the most modern equipment and state-of-the-art technology.

We are proud that the Joint Commission has surveyed our organization and found it to meet the requirements for the Critical Access Hospital Accreditation Program. We are a member of the Pointe Coupee Parish Health Services District № 1.


French-Canadian explorer Pierre Le Moyne, sieur d’Iberville and his brother, Jean Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville, sailed from Brest, France in late 1698, arriving at the lower Mississippi River in 1699.

The explorers were mystified to find a point where the huge river doubled back on itself, forming an oxbow lake. That site was later named “la Pointe Coupee,” the place of the cut-off.

One of the most noted oxbow lakes in the lower Mississippi Delta, False River was the main channel of the Mississippi River until about 1722 when seasonal flooding cut a shorter channel to the east. False River, a 22-mile long “trophy lake,” is known today for boating, skiing, sailing, and fishing. Between 1974 and 1981, more than 265,000 striped bass fingerlings were released into this lake which covers 3,212 acres.

PCGH Entrance.jpg

Our Mission

Pointe Coupee General Hospital is committed to meeting the special healthcare needs of Pointe Coupee Parish by providing the highest quality of care. The foundation for the provision of this client-focused healthcare encompasses a continuum of services delivered with compassion, understanding, respect, and dignity. 



Our History

1904 - Invited by Father Francis La Roche, the Sisters of St. Joseph arrive in New Roads.

1949 - The Mosley Clinic is opened on an experimental basis. The clinic is located near False River on Main Street, New Roads, Louisiana.

1950 - The Sisters of St. Joseph accept a 26-bed clinic on a trial basis with the option to buy from the owner. The hospital is named Sisters of St. Joseph Hospital.

1956 - Sisters of St. Joseph Hospital is approved for Medicare.

1965 - The residents of Pointe Coupee Parish pass a 1% sales tax which will benefit the future of healthcare facilities in the parish.

1968 - Construction of Pointe Coupee General Hospital begins with funds provided by the Hill-Burton Grant in the amount of $764,800 and the 1965 sales tax in the amount of $935,200. The total construction cost was $1,700,000.

1969 - Pointe Coupee General Hospital’s 60-bed building is completed and opened on November 1st, admitting its first patient on November 4th. Ownership is transferred to Pointe Coupee Parish. The Sisters’ convent is also completed. The Sisters lease the hospital from the parish for an initial three year period.

1978 - The Sisters decide to not renew their lease and administration is turned over to lay personnel. Evidence of the Sisters’ early involvement in the development of PCGH is visible by their living quarters and chapel, both still located on campus today.

1985 - PCGH completes addition that provides for an expanded emergency room, eight-bed monitored unit, and expanded maintenance area.

1987 - The financial condition of PCGH deteriorates and the residents of Pointe Coupee Parish pass a 10-year ½% sales tax.

1997 - With PCGH now in the black, board members agree to reduce the sales tax from ½% to ¼%. The residents of Pointe Coupee Parish once again pass the sales tax. The Therapy Building on Hospital Road is completed.  Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Speech Therapy services are moved to this location.

2001 - The Pointe Coupee Parish Health Services District № 1 is instrumental in the opening of the Innis Community Health Center, and Dr. Kellerman serves as the first physician in the clinic.

2004 - PCGH is designated a critical access facility by the federal government on November 1st with a license for 22 inpatient beds.

2015 - PCGH receives accreditation by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations in July. The hospital completes a 17,000 ft.² expansion with two new buildings, the Sisters of St. Joseph Medical Plaza and Hospital Laboratory & Storage Addition in October.

2017 - Emergency Department’s expansion from 8 to 14 beds and a renovated nursing station, triage room, and waiting area is completed in August. Additional areas are renovated to create a new outpatient registration department, Radiology office space, and Radiology waiting area.

2019 - A renovated court yard is finished located near the Sisters of St. Joseph’s chapel. Renovations begin for the inpatient areas located on the second floor which will double the size of the patient rooms.



Our Partners’ Histories


Pointe Coupee Homebound Health and Hospice

Pointe Coupee Homebound Health was established as a hospital-based Home Health Agency in 1984.

In 1997, the Homebound Health building was completed.  All Home Health services were moved to this new location.

In 2002, hospice services were added and the name was changed to Pointe Coupee Homebound Health and Hospice.

In 2005, Pointe Coupee Homebound Health was separated from the Hospital and became a free-standing agency. 

Pointe Coupee Human Services Center

The Pointe Coupee Human Services Center provides alcoholism and chemical dependency assessment, referral, and treatment services. Outpatient services provided by a multidisciplinary team are funded in part through a contract with the State of Louisiana, Office of Alcohol and Drug Abuse for Federal ADMS Funds.

The facility was opened in November 1985 and named Bonne Sante, which translates to “Good Health.” Since its inception, the center has been instrumental in providing substance abuse prevention and chemical wellness services to the citizens of Pointe Coupee Parish. In support of these efforts, the Pointe Coupee Parish Police Jury has authorized the use of 5% of the avails of a renewed sales tax levied and collected within the confines of the parish, thereby enabling these programs to continue. 

Pointe Coupee Health Unit

The campus building was constructed in 1975 and continued to house the health unit until a larger campus building was completed in 1982. The health unit is located on campus to provide easy access to physician offices, the hospital, and other support health services.

Services include immunizations, family planning, and sex education.

Pointe Coupee Council on Aging

The Council on Aging (COA) began servicing Pointe Coupee Parish in 1975. In 1985 the services were moved to the Health Services District campus. One hundred and forty-one meals are delivered daily and an average of ninety meals are served at various locations. Additional meals are delivered and served as funds become available, as there is a waiting list of 32 for delivered meals. In addition, the COA provides homemaker services, transportation services, and medication assistance.

Physician Offices

Three dual office physician suites were completed in 1977 and two similar buildings were added in 1983. The internal medicine building was completed in 1998 and currently houses Dr. Donald Doucet and Dr. Ashley Bordelon.

In October 2015, the 11,000 ft.² St. Joseph’s Medical Plaza was completed. The building is currently leased by the Lake Physician Group and houses Dr. Louis Montelaro, Dr. Carl Mclemore, Dr. Paul Rachal, Dr. Betty Swift, and Dr. Brian Leblanc.

Coroner’s Office

The Coroner’s office is located on the hospital campus in the South Complex. The Coroner’s function was performed by Dr. Robert Helm from 1982 to 2005. Dr. Harry Kellerman assumed coroner duties in 2005. Dr. Donald Doucet serves as deputy coroner.

Pointe Coupee Health Services District № 1

The Pointe Coupee Health Services District № 1 was established on October 1, 1985. The district board is comprised of nine members appointed by the Parish Council.